An Overview by Wild Triumph
The 2,400 kilometre long Himalayan Mountain runs west-northwest to east-southeast in a circular segment. On the western arc lies Nanga Parbat whereas on its eastern arc is the Namcha Barwa. On the northwest the Himalayan range is verged by the Karakoram and the Hindu Kush ranges. Toward the north, the chain is isolated from the Tibetan Plateau by a 55~65 km wide structural valley called the Indus-Tsangpo Suture. The south curve of the Himalaya is ringed by the exceptionally low Indo-Gangetic Plain. Himalayan range is spread in Asia and the wide area is occupied by India; followed by Nepal, Bhutan, China, and Pakistan.
List of Himalayan Peaks
|Peak Name||Height (M)||Height (F)|
List of Himalayan Passes
|Passes Name||Height (M)||Height (F)|
|Shipki La Pass||4,500||14,764|
The Indian Himalayas
The regions of Kashmir, Ladakh, Himachal Pradesh, Uttarakhand, Sikkim, Arunachal Pradesh, Nagaland, Manipur, Mizoram, Tripura, Meghalaya, Assam and West Bengal have been blessed with the Himalayan ranges. The three major ranges include the Himadri or The Great Himalayas, Himanchal or The Mahabharata Range (Lesser Himalayas) and Shiwaliks or the outer Himalayas. Most of the areas of these ranges lie in Jammu and Kashmir of India.
Trans Himalayan Range
Created by the earth’s natural phenomenon of the collision of Eurasian plates, the Himalayas are further subdivided into six ranges called the Trans Himalayan Range viz; The Pir Panjal Range, Dhauladhar Range, Zanskar Range, Ladakh Range, East Karakoram Range, and Shivalik Hills.
Pir Panjal Range: The Pir Panjal Range likewise known as Panchaladeva in Hindu sacred texts, is a gathering of mountains in the Lesser Himalayan ranges, running over the Indian province of Himachal Pradesh, and Jammu & Kashmir. Pir Panjal is the biggest range of the Lesser Himalayas. Close to the bank of the Sutlej River, it separates itself from the Himalayas and structures a partition between the Beas and Ravi waterways on one side and the Chenab on the other.
Dhauladhar Range: The Dhauladhar lies in the lesser Himalayan range of mountains. It ascends from the Indian fields toward the north of Kangra and Mandi. Dharamsala, the central station of Kangra region, lies on its southern prod in over the Kangra Valley, which partitions it from Chamba.
Zanskar Range: The Zanskar is a mountain range in the Indian areas of Jammu, Kashmir and Ladakh. Originally, the Zanskar Range is a piece of the Tethys Himalaya, with an altitude of 19,700 feet. Its eastern part is known as Rupshu.
Ladakh Range: The Ladakh Range is a mountain range in the Indian Union region of Ladakh with its northern range reaching out into Ladakh in India. It lies between the Indus and Shyok waterways, extending to 370 km. The capital city of Ladakh; Leh, is on the foot of these Range and is a major tourist attraction.
East Karakoram Range: The Karakoram is a mountain range traversing the outskirts of India, Pakistan and China with the northwest limit of the range reaching out to Afghanistan and Tajikistan. It starts in the Wakhan Corridor of Afghanistan in the west and envelops most of Gilgit-Baltistan and stretches out into Ladakh.
Shivalik Hills: Tresses of Lord Shiva or the Shivalik Hills; The outer Himalayas that stretches from Indus to Brahmaputra River in the Indian subcontinent have an average altitude of 6,600 feet.
Lakes & Glaciers
The Himalayan area is spotted with several lakes. Most of the bigger lakes are on the northern side of the fundamental range. These incorporate the holy freshwater Lake Manasarovar, close to Mount Kailash with a region of 420 square kilometers. It channels into the Lake Rakshastal which spreads in an area of 250 square kilometers. Pangong Tso, which is spread over the outskirt among India and China, at far western side of Tibet spreads over 700 square kilometers. Yamdrok Tso, situated in south of Tibet spreads over 638 square kilometer area. Lake Puma Yumco is also one of the most noteworthy lakes of Himalayas.
Lakes are smaller at the south Himalayan range. Annapurna’s Tilicho Lake in Nepal is perhaps the most noteworthy lake on the planet. Other remarkable lakes incorporate She-Phoksundo Lake in the Shey Phoksundo National Park of Nepal, Rara Lake in western Nepal, Gurudongmar Lake, in North Sikkim, Gokyo Lakes in Solukhumbu locale of Nepal and Lake Tsongmo, close to the Indo-China outskirt in Sikkim.
After Antarctica and the Arctic, the ranges of Asia, including the Himalayas, contain the third-biggest store of ice and snow on the planet.
The Himalayan range envelops around 15,000 icy masses, which store around 12,000 cubic kilometers of water. Its ice glaciers incorporate the Gangotri- Yamunotri (Uttarakhand), Khumbu, Langtang and Zemu (Sikkim).
Main viewpoint that remains constant for every community in the Himalayas and its lower regions is that they revere mountain as their life-provider, preserver and defender. All the people living in the Himalayan area are nature-subordinate, and unequivocally ethnic and strict about their religion. Notwithstanding, this may not be actually valid for those dwelling in the parched wild of the thick backwoods of the eastern inclines and northern flanks; here individuals are very furious and combatant. Nonetheless, all is said & done; the individuals staying in the Himalayas are fundamentally harmonious and charming. What’s more, this can be completely experienced while investigating the different Himalayan ranges. Their modest behavior causes one to understand that they are absolutely conscious towards the earth they live in and they respect the mother nature.
There are numerous social parts of the Himalayas. Jain comminity believes that, Mount Ashtapad in Himalayas is a consecrated spot where the main Jain Tirthankara, Rishabhdeva accomplished moksha. After Rishabhdeva accomplished “moksha”, it is accepted that his son, Bharata Chakravartin, had built 3 stupas and 24 sanctuaries of the twenty four Tirthankaras with their objects of worship studded with valuable stones and named it Sinhnishdha. Likewise for the Hindu community, the Himalayas are embodied as Himavath, whose daughter is goddess Ganges and Parvati (Wife of Lord Shiva; who creates, protects and transforms the universe)
The Buddhists additionally lay a lot of significance on the Himalayas. Paro Taktsang is the sacred spot where Buddhism began in Bhutan. Muktinath is well known holy spot for the Tibetan Buddhists.
In the Himalayas, one would be astonished to see that each group of families and valleys have its own socio-anthropological techniques to confront the differed difficulties of life. Also, this is the point at which they are truly separated from the remainder of the populace. In any case, the fairly basic topographical elements have implied that these vivid societies are like each other. One may concur or dissent, yet the reality remains that physical seclusion of the Himalayan individuals has had one positive outcome, and that is the protection of hundreds of years old information.
Best Places to Visit in Himalayas
- Leh-Ladakh: Ladakh Himalayan range forms an enormous piece of the desert in the Northern area of the Great Indian Himalayas. Rich excellence, mesmerizing landscapes and tranquilizing Monasteries, makes this spot a perfect spot to go through certain days of your life communicating with nature. Other than nature sweethearts and vacation seekers, Ladakh is likewise a center point for experience buffs who come here to entertain themselves with the fun of trekking, hiking and mountain motorcycling.
- Nubra Valley: Another incredible alternative for a brilliant vacation in Ladakh area is the stunning ‘Nubra Valley’ which lies a ways off of 150 kilometers from Leh. Encircled with parched mountains and favored with gigantic magnificence, a stay at Nubra Valley is a one of a kind involvement with itself. As opposed to different sloping regions that are radiating with greenery, at Nubra Valley you will see mountains as dry and rough. This is the main mountain area in India where you will discover sand ridges. A sand ridge safari sitting on the rear of the two humped camels is one of the most awesome encounters one can have in the course of his life.
- Zanskar Valley: One of the most interesting realities about the valley of Zanskar is that it one of the most secluded valleys in India, associated with the remainder of the nation by only a solitary motorable street. Words can’t do justice for this beautiful valley. For the most part visited by trekkers and stream rafters, a stay at the Zanskar Valley can end up being a staggering encounter.
- Tirthan Valley: A little valley that appears to have legitimately come out from a fantasy, Tirthan Valley is an extreme joy and heaven for nature darlings and nirvana searchers. The valley is situated in the Kullu locale of Himachal Pradesh and is encircled with thick woods, elevated Himalayan pinnacles and majestic apple plantations. This charming valley additionally makes your way to the celebrated ‘Great Himalayan National Park’. It won’t be mistaken to state this is the main spot in the world where you can chat with nature, comprehend quietness and have an incredible reconnect of your brain, body and soul.
- Spiti Valley: Long winding streets and valleys, exceptional cold desert and snow-capped mountains invite you when you step into Spiti Valley. Verged on all sides by the Himalayas, Spiti Valley, situated in Himachal Pradesh, has a height of 12,500 feet above ocean level, and gets just around 250 days of daylight in the year, making it perhaps the coldest spot in the nation. Spiti Valley is likewise one of the ideal spots in Himalayas where you can relive yourself by thinking and inundating your spirits in the serenades and songs of Buddhist priests at acclaimed religious communities of ‘Ki Kibber’, ‘Tabo’, ‘Dhankar’ and ‘Komic’. Nothing is more energizing than taking a trip to the ‘Pin Valley National Park’ or ‘Kibber Wildlife Sanctuary’. With the thick Himalayan snow cutting Spiti off from the remainder of the nation for around a half year a year, the midyear months are the main time Spiti is straightforwardly available through roads.
Furthermore, Kullu and Manali have consistently been one of the most loved destinations for sightseers. Situated in the core of Kullu valley, this enchanting valley of Himachal Pradesh has given incredible joy to tourists till now. Visiting here resembles being in the lap of nature. In every visit to this valley, it gives you a new meaning to life and happiness. Rich verdure encompassed by pine and cedar trees just adds glisters to its magnificence.
Himalayan Adventure Sports
Some of the adventure sports to be enjoyed in the Himalayas are:
- Camping: On the off chance that you have never ventured out of your comfort zone the experience of camping may sound a touch of overpowering. Be that as it may, spending the night outdoors in the Himalayas is to lie in nature’s arm, permit the breeze to sing you their tunes of a bedtime song. The happiness of camping outdoors in the Himalayas must be achieved; it is an encounter that ought to be inhabited least once in the course of your life.
- Rock Climbing: Himalaya has the absolute best climbing expeditions on the planet, including the most noteworthy – Mount Everest. Be that as it may, the most wonderful out of every other place canvassed in Himalayan blooms and elevated mountain ranges, is India’s Har Ki Doon Valley.
- Trekking: Trekking is the most widely recognized kind of expedition to give it a shot while in Himalaya. There are different courses accessible for both experienced and starting mountain climbers. Probably the most notable are the Annapurna circuit, Zanskar Chadar Trek, Langtang area, Mount Kangchenjunga circuit, and obviously, the Mount Everest circuit.
- River Rafting: There are heaps of crevasses rising up out of the head of the mountains in Himalaya. The great River of Ganges is extraordinary for river rafting; tempestuous and very testing to beat, there are campaigns accessible for experts and tenderfoots likewise. Similar excursions are offered in the Beas River flowing through Kullu & Manali.
- Motorcycle Tours: Not every single Himalayan course is intended for climbing and trekking. Some are astounding for motorbike riding, as well. The Zanskar and Pir Panjal ranges are perfect area to test this game, although you are encouraged to be cautious; since the roads may turn into somewhat precarious. The path interfaces Kullu Valley to Ladakh, and it’s likewise the most noteworthy motorable road on the planet. Read more about Himalayan motorcycle tours here.
Did you find this information helpful? Please rate and review us on Trust Pilot