Best motorcycle jackets for hot weather
A good motorcyclist knows that the important thing is not the destination, but the journey itself. Getting around by motorcycle is and will remain one of the best ways to travel around the region. However, a road trip in summers can be a lot more demanding compared to any other season of the year. You need motorcycle jacket that offers comfort, freedom of movement, and breathability during the hottest part of the day as it may get quite difficult to travel around in scorching heat with your gears on.
Moreover, natural thermoregulation may get disturbed in case your jacket is accumulating a lot of heat. The symptoms may get adverse when you are riding at a temperature of above 35°C for more than 2 hours. Additionally, city traffic and exhaust gasses contribute to the extreme heat conditions, which can aggravate your body temperature. As per research, body temperature of a motorcyclist wearing standard safety equipment can rise to a level (40° degrees) which increases the risk of motor accidents dramatically. Fortunately, modern jackets allow you to drive without risking hyperthermia.
In today’s blog we will discuss about some of the best summer motorcycle jackets that are available in the market and we will put some light on buying guide that will help you choose your ideal jacket this summer.
What distinguishes a good summer motorcycle jacket?
Individual tastes and available budgets weigh on the choice, but knowing how to orient your mind is essential to make a wise decision. Let’s see the basic requirements that must be looked at while choosing a summer riding jacket.
- A good motorcycle summer jacket has to let through as much airflow as possible. They usually achieve this through breathable mesh material (in textile jackets) or through perforated holes (leather jackets).
- It should have a certain level of protection in motorcycle jackets. That is why protectors over shoulders and elbows are mandatory. Also make sure that there are protective inserts at the back (or at the least a space available for them to fit).
- In order to have a well-fitted jacket for different body types, it should be adjustable. This usually happens through Velcro fasteners, buckles or buttons on the waist, wrists, arms and neck.
Top motorcycle jackets for summers
Summers are certainly a perfect time for adventurous motorcycle trip which motorcyclists find very difficult to resist. The high temperatures, however, must not at all provoke you to give up on wearing essential motorcycle gear that always guarantee maximum safety on two wheels. For all those who want to take the advantage of beautiful summer season by embarking on a motorcycle tour, here is our recommended list:
Alpinestars T-GP Plus R V2
If you want a sporty cut jacket, to be used essentially during the hottest days in spring, and especially in summers, you can consider the T-GP Plus RV2 model manufactured by Alpinestars.
Thanks to large mesh panels present around the torso and arms, the jacket guarantees optimal air circulation. On colder days though, you can fit the removable thermal layer, making it ideal for spring, autumn, and moderately cold climate as well.
The elbow and shoulder protectors are CE level 1, but for the back, certainly the most important area of the body to protect, it is possible to insert level 2 CE protectors. The jacket is not waterproof, but only water repellent, but in case you encounter heavy downpours, you can count on totally waterproof internal pockets, which leaves everything inside completely dry.
- The Alpinestars jacket can be worn for most of the months, as it is suitable from spring to autumn, as long as there are not very cold days. It is perfect for summer, thanks to the perforated mesh fabric.
- To keep smartphones or other objects safe inside the jacket, a watertight pocket is also provided.
- Thanks to Velcro, different body parts on the jacket can be adjusted according to your needs.
DAINESE Bora Air Tex
Another interesting summer jacket is Bora Air Tex that is produced by Dainese. It is a part of the family of Gore- Tex® jackets, a series that combines innovative design with comfortability and breathability. It is particularly designed for young bikers who are looking for jackets that are not only of high quality but also comfortable in hot weather. Bora Air is in fact made of mesh, which together with the removable protectors on shoulders and elbows guarantees excellent ventilation and breathability. The model is equipped, in addition to two external pockets, with an internal pocket for double chest protection along with G1, G2 pockets for back protection. Wrists and waist are adjustable to allow you to alter them to your liking and thus arriving at the right fit.
Currently the jacket is available in five variants; Black/Fluo-Red, Black/Fluo-Yellow, Black/Magnesio-Matt/Fluo-Yellow, Black/White, and Flame-Orange/Black-Iris/Black.
- Manufactured by one of the well-known brands in motorcycle clothing industry.
- Offers maximum comfort and breathability in hot weather.
- The jacket looks very sporty and is aesthetically beautiful making it ideal for young riders.
- The mesh fabric ensures that the body temperature is regulated.
Dainese Hydra Flux D-Dry
If you are looking for the best summer jackets, Dainese Hydra Flux is an ideal product in our opinion. This jacket is practical, aesthetically beautiful and available in many sizes. It is the number one model in the European market that is suitable for both men and women.
You will find this jacket really well made. It is very light in weight but, at the same time, will protect you optimally when you are on your motorcycle, even during the hottest part of the day. It has a removable D-DRY membrane that gives it total waterproofing for all your needs.
Being perforated, it also offers optimal breathability to guarantee maximum comfort and an air passage that allows you to stay cool. You can say goodbye to the sweat that drips on your back during your ride. Suitable for all seasons and all types of physique, Hydra Flux is a good quality, water resistant jacket, ideal for summers. You will hardly find a similar product on the market that matches its standards.
- Very light but also offers very high protection.
- Perfect to be used during the 4 seasons thanks to the D-DRY membrane.
- Being perforated, it guarantees excellent ventilation and breathability.
- Suitable for both men and women and available in many sizes.
Moving to more economical and affordable motorcycle jackets; the CJ1 model of the Ridex brand combines the love for riding, practicality, protection, and safety to offer an ideal summer jacket that comes within the budget of many novice motorcyclists.
Although designed specifically to be used in summers, CJ1 was made with 600D, a material that is not only very resistant, but also waterproof and windproof. You also get a removable thermal padding, so as to ensure a comfortable journey in all weather conditions.
The safety features are also noteworthy in this motorcycle jacket; CJ1 has removable inserts for shoulders, elbows and back. The closures are in Velcro, while the front zippers are YKK brand: this combination facilitates closure and avoids sudden opening during fall. That’s not all; the zipper seals are provided by 3M and are reflective so as to ensure excellent safety on the road.
- Very economical jacket
- Comes with all the standard safety features
- Waterproof as well as breathable.
- Removable layers for maximum comfort.
Dainese Air Frame D1 Tex
In an extremely hot weather, you need a jacket that can put you at ease. The best jacket, in this case, is the Dainese Air Frame D1 Tex, which also excels for its unbeatable value for money. This summer jacket is very breathable and allows you to stay cool without sweating too much, thanks to its light and perforated materials.
It is made of Quick Dry fabric that allows air to pass through. The removable windproof lining favors the perfect thermal adaptation of the body to summer temperatures, while the various protection systems, compliant with standards, ensure maximum safety while traveling by motorbike or scooter.
- Complies with European safety standards.
- The jacket has 2 external pockets, a pocket for the G1 or G2 back protector and spaces designed for reflective inserts. Carry your smartphone, house keys or wallet with you in complete safety, thanks to the zips that keep your belongings safe.
- The D1 line uses excellent materials and is characterized by an innovative design.
- It will keep you comfortable even when you are around beaches, cities or highways.
OJ Desert Next
Inspired by desert raids, the Desert Next jacket is OJ’s flagship and one of the ideal touring suits for summers. It is a three-layer suit that can be used in any kind of temperature, thanks to the numerous air vents (10 ventilation zips), waterproof membrane, and removable thermal layers. The fit is guaranteed due to numerous Velcro adjustments and buttons. While safety is ensured by the outer layer made of Nylon 750D, reinforcements made of polyester 1680D, and laminated reflective inserts.
Desert Next trousers can be purchased separately and comes with a guarantee of the same standard fitting and safety as the jacket itself. There is no shortage of pockets in this jacket (total of four); two on the front and two on the side. Currently there are two colors available; “Black” and “Ice / Black”.
- Elasticated inserts on the elbows.
- ADVANTA® waterproof membrane.
- Can be used in hot as well as cold climates.
- 4 inside pockets, 6 outside.
Alpinestars AST Air Jacket
Dedicated to those who prefer a sporty look on the bike (it has pre-curved sleeves), the AST Air Jacket is an excellent companion for riding on hot days. The main structure is made of breathable Mesh to guarantee excellent ventilation, while the back and chest are designed to house back protector and parapet respectively.
The jacket is fully CE certified, and the shoulders and elbow protectors are CE Level 1 certified. Currently it is available in three colors (black/white, black/fluorescent yellow and black/red fluorescent)
- Exceptionally durable and ultra-light jacket featuring a main mesh shell for superior ventilation.
- Increased comfort and performance in the riding position.
- Made from 600 Denier poly-fabrics.
- It has auto locking zippers for secure closure.
Leather jackets versus textile jackets for summers?
When choosing a summer jacket, you have to consider whether you prefer to wear a textile jacket / mesh jacket or whether you prefer the properties and look of leather jackets.
On hot days, the idea of being in a thick leather suit is not very appealing. Moreover, you won’t be able to feel the wind and the leather might stick to the sweaty skin. However, there is a workaround; perforated leather jackets combine the advantages of leather (extremely tear-resistant and safe) with the advantages of textile jackets / mesh jackets (airy).
A textile jacket, on the other hand can have three layers (with waterproof membrane and padding) making it suitable for dealing with various temperatures during a day on the bike. There are places where you can experience extremely hot afternoons and unbearable cold mornings in a single day, a textile jacket with multiple detachable layers can work very efficiently in these environments. So in our opinion, textile jackets are ideal for summers as they are breathable and more comfortable in the scorching heat, but if you still prefer the look of a leather jacket over textile, make sure you are purchasing a perforated one that has a room for breathing.
Things to look for in a summer motorcycle jacket
Those who have been riding motorcycle for many years probably don’t need it, but some advice on how to choose the motorcycle jacket will help the less experienced. Here’s how to choose your motorcycle jacket:
- A good summer motorcycle jacket must have large air vents to increase the aeration of the body. These vents should be positioned in areas around arms, chest, and back, where the “cooling” effect is amplified.
- The vents provided in the jackets should be adjustable or completely removable, to modulate your jacket according to your needs.
- When choosing a summer jacket, you must necessarily answer these questions: How long will I use it on my motorbike and on what kind of trips? If you only do a few day outings on weekends, you can choose a versatile model (with a detachable padding).
- If you are planning a summer trip in very hot climate, or a long distance trip through multiple temperatures, it is better to buy a fully perforated jacket which includes breathable windproof membrane. This way, if the temperature drops, you will still be protected from the cold winds and you can enjoy the ventilation from the perforated areas when it gets warmer.
- Do you suffer a lot in the heat? There are people who don’t suffer much in the heat, and there are others who just can’t stand it. If you are among the latter, then you must necessarily choose a perforated jacket suitable only for the summer.
- What style to choose? A motorcycle jacket with many pockets and removable layers (such as padding and waterproof membrane) is better suited for trips with many stages. This allows you to always have what you need on hand. There are also stylish summers jacket, that fit more snugly and do not necessarily look like motorcycle jackets, so make sure you make up your mind before deciding on one.